Friday, August 20, 2010

How to support a husband who works too much?

Hi there, I have been married for 4 years. My husband started a new career 6 months ago. Since then he is gone almost every night, and when he is home he is on the phone in the office. Also every conversation we have is about his career. I don't like feeling upset, I love him and want to support him more. But I can't help feeling resentful because his career has consumed him. Any advice? We don't have any children. We are 25 and 24. I don't want to be mad at him because he works so hard to provide for our future.How to support a husband who works too much?
I have been with my fiancee for almost 4 years. We have lived together for the past year and a half. I can relate to what you are saying. First I tried dropping a few subtle hints, like telling him how much I missed him and that I enjoy spending time with him and when we do, it seems like the time goes by so fast. At first I tried real hard to understand that work took up a lot of his time and to just try to enjoy what time we did have together because it would all be worth it in the future. As time went by I started to get mad, frustrated and resentful. Then one day I finally had enought. I told him how much I loved him and I appreciated him working so hard, but in order to make and keep our relatkonship strong that he was going to have to start putting a little more time and attention in. And I used his business as an example - in order for his business to be successful his has to give 100% even if he's tired, stressed, etc. If you don't take care and nurture a relationship it will eventually die. Like a plant, you can remember to throw some water on it every once in a while and it will hang on to life, but if you give it the time and it attention that it really needs it will flourish. He listened and now we take special time out for ourselves and do things we enjoy together. Talk to him from the heart he will listen too.How to support a husband who works too much?
I understand your concerns, and I also know the pressure in which your husband is trying to succeed.


I think it is fair to talk to him about the time he spends on work at home, that your not wanting him to stop, but the time that you both spend together needs to be of more quality when the time permits. Good luck.
Have a chat and say you understand and SUPPORT the importance of the work ethic, but you need to have an ';us'; day. Say, maybe on sunday, no work, no phones, no relatives, etc... Try explaining that if you don't have a relationship in the future, what's the point in working so hard for it.
Um... well, you could tell him what you need. You could tell him that his constant attention to work, is making you feel lonely and left out of his life. You can't expect it to change, but you can certainly express your feelings about it. And if he's a good husband, he will respond to your feelings and make his own changes.
This is a pretty typical problem. Women that want to monopolize 100% of their mans time, I mean. You suck him dry because of your own insecurities. Its sick really. Get over it, get a career of your own. I feel bad for him. You have no idea how much you probably stress him out with your nagging.
text him during his working days (I do the same when I wanna tel him something I do text)...he probably won't reply as he's busy (my one never does but he feels connected this way), it'd support him and your relationship
Then you need to make it clear when he leaves the office his work stays there, and that when he's at home discussions regarding job and career are off limits.
Masterbate, masterbate, masterbate
I wouldn't know. I have the opposite problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment