Friday, August 20, 2010

How can my husband and I become Caregivers for mentally challenged People!?

My husband and I would like to become caregivers for mentally challenged people. We really don't care whether they are young or old. How do we do this?How can my husband and I become Caregivers for mentally challenged People!?
I live in Colorado; my wife and I own an ACF for mentally ill. It is a rodeo everyday,but worthy do dedicate to. It didn't take an education to do; State course of 2 days to get certified. CO even allows 2 in a home without the certification. The biggest stickler is all of the rules and regulations ( inspection to enforce ). Our facility is 15 beds we consider all of them as our ';children';. There is much support from Mental Health, Social Services, Police Dept. and most important the community. Researching other states they are all about the same, I have even substituted forms and documentation procedures from other states if easier to use and within CO regs. Hope this helps you; there are so many out there that need a home or the family just can't do it anymore. God speed in whatever you choose in this field, we absolutely need more like you.How can my husband and I become Caregivers for mentally challenged People!?
if this is what you really want to do then you are very special people. many get a ';job'; doing this and do not really care for the ones they are supposed to be dedicated to. it is a very rewarding job, it is also at times mentally exhausting. i did this for 3 years and have very fond memories of the people i took care of.





to answer your question about how to begin finding a position, begin with your local foster care program. their are many children and teens that require care and typically are not placed in group homes. they will come to your home and certify you to have them live with you this is the best way to really make a difference in a home setting.





you can also search for group homes that hire if you have a H.S. diploma and take the required training. this a bit less rewarding though because it has an institutional feel most often.





there are also state jobs, you go to the institution and take a civil service test, not too difficult to pass. then wait to be called for an interview. these jobs pay up to $30 an hour in PA and have excellent benefits.





there are also day programs where you help them work a job. these jobs are assigned according to the individuals capabilities and makes them proud to be a part of the community.
Well, hopefully you have already signed up already for some extra English courses already. Three adverbs describing one verb? How successful were you in English 101?
Take classes to become CNAs (certified nursing assistants). Almost all community colleges have these programs. I hope that helps.





Getting certified to be a CNA is vastly different than getting a degree in psychology. It's two entirely different things. I know that it seems similar, but it's not. This is on the medical end of things (trust me, I know, I have my PhD in psych, and my BSN as well). You will need to take CNA training classes. Once you're finished, you'll be eligible to take your state's CNA exam. If you pass, then you'll be officially certified, and you can apply for jobs at hospitals, group homes, home health aide/caregiver placement agencies, etc. where you'll be able to work with mentally challenged individuals. Good luck.
Call your local mental health and see how you can volunteer!
Contact your local health group they will be able to gie you a push in the right direction :0 )

No comments:

Post a Comment