Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can my husband, daughter, and I share meals when I am the only one considering vegetarianism?

I am strongly considering becoming a vegetarian. My husband does not want to stop eating meat, and would like our daughter to eat meat, although she rarely does because she dislikes most meat. How can I still buy groceries and cook meals for my family if I'm the only one not eating meat? I will not force my family to quit eating meat because I believe it is a choice they need to make on their own. I don't know how to cook a meal with meat in it for my family and not feel like a huge hypocrite. Also, I enjoy cooking and my husband hates it, so I can only imagine he and my daughter would end up eating tuna and mac %26amp; cheese for the rest of their lives. Any ideas? Am I just screwed?How can my husband, daughter, and I share meals when I am the only one considering vegetarianism?
If you cook the meals, then they don't really have a choice right?...lolHow can my husband, daughter, and I share meals when I am the only one considering vegetarianism?
well I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill





Just cook them the traditional meals like oven roasted Chicken





burgers or chicken legs, pork chops.





Easy enough to make right,





let your hubby throw it on the grill , and when he makes it say MMMMMmmmmm! that smells good.





And compliment him on it.





this way he'll be more inclined to Barbeque the meat.





and you need to remember to tell all your friends, even the vegetarians, what a fabulous Chef he is, so he'll want to show off his skills and enjoy it more.





its spring so its a great time to start, and you need to make them Home fries , rice, and veggies.





Easy to do, get some frozen or fresh peas, chop up onioins, maybe garlic if you like, salt and pepper, and fry them all up in a little olive oil. then while thats cooking , boil water and add some Cavatelli, or whatever small pasta you like.





once both are ready combine.





your both happy and full filled, FULL being pretty important.





--------------





Another side dish, salads, with or without pasta, and they can have some crumbled up bacon bits, or pancetta, grilled chicken, feta cheese, things like that.





---------------------





Another easy to do





rice, Basmati rice, spanish rice, dirty rice, adding lentils and , dried fruits like apricots, currant, raisins,





And make some Stewed Beef dish like PLOV


its persian but very tasty put the extra in the freezer for another night.





And if you make crock pot type meals in the winter, you can simply say to him , Honey could you throw the meat in the pot,


ad then say would you mind adding the seasoning,


and you can cut up the veggies.


keeping some separate for you, and cooking them however you like.





I think the main thing to remember is to try and keep it as traditional as possible, thats what will make your family nuts.


And Always eat dinner as a family





then Slowly introduce, the Vegetarian Cakes ect...





In my Opinion a Hypocrit is only a Hypocrit, unless its actually


Selflessness she is truly practicing.





I am happy to here you aren't trying to force your family to change, and only making a personal change.





Its important to show our children, acceptance, sacrifice, and loving tenderness.





All of which you are definately teaching her by giving them the option to Choose.





Bravo Mom!





Email me if you want more Ideas,
Make your husband cook his own dinner.





Let your daughter eat your healthful, vegetarian meals with you.





You shouldn't have to patronize your hubs if he's not supportive of your decision.
Do them a favour and leave, lets face it when a woman chooses the route you want facial hair isn't far away. What man would want a woman with a better beard than him and all your childrens friends calling her for having a freak mum.
My brother, my mom and my dad eat meat. My sister and I are vegetarians. My mom and my dad usually cook 2 meals. One for them and one for us. She also buys easy things to make like ready made pasta with no meat. Maybe u should cook for them and for u. It may seem weird but u live with ';meat eaters.';
If your husband wants meat, he can buy it and cook it himself. Also, your daughter should have some say in what she gets to eat.
There are loads of things the whole family can eat that don't have meat in. I have been veggie for 20 years - my wife and kids have never been veggie, and it is not a big problem. We eat together most days - some recipies are all veggie, some recipies I substitute the meat for a veggie replacement - for example a traditional Sunday Dinner - it is all vehetables, apart from the roast beef - so everyone has the exact same vegetables but you have a nut roast instead of roast beef. It really can work with the minimum of difficulty.





Give it a try. People seem to think that if there is no meat in a meal then it is weird, but get your family to try some veggie meals - maybe without warning them first, just casually make a simple meal with no meat in it. Say nothing and you will be surprised that they might actually like it!





I picked up the best veggie recipie book in Tescos a few weeks ago for just 97p - so see if your local Tescos has one left - really simple really tasty veggie food in it.


Anyway - good luck!
No, you are not screwed, but I appreciate your dilemma. My 12 year old daughter is a veggie, and has sleepovers every weekend with 4 or 5 of her non veggie friends. I got creative in meal prep, and they have been eating meals here for over three years, and not one of them has even realized there is never any meat in our house. I don't use the fake meats (tofu, boca burgers, etc,) but I hear they are reasonable replacements. Try introducing vegetarian meals in, and don't even mention that there is not meat, they likely won't notice. For example, serve a vegetarian lasagna, with a nice salad and some crusty breadsticks. Or, a fettucini or spagetti fondue with dunkers of steamed rosemary potatoes, garlic bread, mozzerella cheese bites, brocolli, corn nuggets, tater tots, etc. With a variety of things to choose from, no one will miss anything. Try adding in a total vegetarian meal once or twice a week-if you don't bring it up, I seriously doubt anyone will question it. Just say ';I found a great recipe for lasagne that I wanted to try';, and leave out the word vegetarian. When you have found some that your family likes, just continue to make them. Its not deceptive, it just keeps things simple. I did this with my daughter and now she is a total veg head, and I also did this with a very overweight friend that eats at my house often. She always commented on how good the food is, and never even thought about the meat. Bean and cheese tacos, served with spicy spanish rice is good to. Mash up the beans, mix with some taco sauce, and serve with the usual additions-works for burittos and wraps too. I hope this helps. My daughters father had issues when my daughter first went veggie, but now that he sees how clearly healthy she is, he is thrilled. It all just takes time for adjustments. Good luck, hope this helps a bit
just order pizza delivery and get meat lovers for others, and vegg lovers for you





or order chinese take out and get triple meat delux for others and get vegetarians meal with tofu in it





and cook them food, but you eat stright vegetables, like just eat a few tomatos and celery and call it a meal
you don't have to be vegetarian to eat veggie food! maybe you could cook meat 2 or 3 times a week for husband + daughter but the rest of the time cook veggie meals?


or you could just put Quorn in instead of meat... just don't tell them! lol
The toughest part about your dillema is whether or not you can cook meat for them without feeling bad about it. I would suggest doing as some of the others have mentioned, that is cutting back on your meat use at first and making good food that stands on it's own without the meat being missed and not mentioning ';Oh, it's vegetarian';. Also, it might be good for your husband to learn how to cook, maybe he could be given one night a week to make whatever meaty dish he wanted and figure it out. In the meantime, you can make things like fajitas or tacos, where the meal can be put together like an assembly line and just skip the meat yourself and plus that way each meal your daughter could decide on her own what she wanted. Also, I don't know the age of your child, but maybe if she's a teen she could help with the cooking duties? Hope that helps.
I had the same issue when I was living w/ my ex bf. He was a meat-eater and of course, I am not. He actually liked some of the things I made...others he really didn't care for. After a while, it was SO time-consuming to make two separate dishes, I thought to heck with it. I cooked what I wanted to eat and if he wanted to eat it too, that was fine. If not, he had to fix it himself.


I know that's kinda harsh from a family perspective....BUT if you and your daughter want to be veggies, then go for it! Though your husband wants her to eat meat, she has TWO parents. Your voice should count too.
If you are making, for example, spaggheti bolognaise then make up the tomato sauce, and split it into two pans. Then add meat to one and quorn or whatever to the other.
It's not that you'll be stopping them from eating meat, but you can prove to them that meals don't require meat and that some fake meats are actually good. Make some tofurkey without them realizing it, add some yummy toppings to it, like a vegetarian gravy. If they don't taste a difference then let them know HEY ITS NOT MEAT! It could be even easier than you expect. You could always make mexican foods, italian foods, and indian foods SO easily! And they are delicious. My mother eats meat 3 times a day and thinks she needs it daily in order to survive. There is no convincing her otherwise. But when she comes here to visit me once a year, I feed her vegetarian foods and they fill her up. I gave her indian food and she was in love with it. Of course, she still eats meat, but at least she understands that I don't starve myself and I indeed eat VERY well! Some meat eaters just need to see the light of vegetarianism and most of them just don't realize how much better it makes you feel. (Trust me, I used to hate vegetarians and call them tree hugging hippies, but now I'm the most strict vegetarian I've ever met)





Good luck!
Hi! As the only vegetarian (and the only cook) in the household I know what you mean. When I cook, I only cook vegetarian because I won't cook meat. I use a lot of the soy products to replace meat which no one in my family seems to mind and they get a good dose of protein with it too. But what I have found that will work in your situation is one thing: the Grill. I make veggie dishes that most of the time my boyfriend will top with some kind of meat that he grills outside. Then everyone is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment